Friday, June 25, 2010

Jake Update 6/25

We woke up about 4:45 a.m. and took Jake up to the University of Utah hospital to have a piece of his lymph node removed for more biopsy.  One of the nurses told me it would take at least a week to get any results.  I was devastated (the first ones only took 12-24 hours)!  They also told me the operation would probably take a little over an hour.  I'm thinking, seriously!  How hard could this be!  They made us come 1 1/2 hours before the procedure even started.  We were waiting in the room an hour before the procedure started.  I asked the nurse what they were going to do for an hour and she said, "Oh we'll take his vitals and the doctor will come in and talk to you."  So they took his vitals (3 minutes max) then said, "Ok, the doctor will come in and see you in about 1/2 hour"  Apparently, this is standard patient waiting torture...I mean procedure.  If you don't wait for at least 30 minutes that can't bill you for as much time.

The good news is the procedure only took 1/2 hour.  It took him over an hour to wake up, but he is doing fine.  Dr. Nelson said they should know something by Monday and they took 1/2 of his lymph node, froze some and gave the rest to Pathology to start running the tests right away.

I'm happy because we are not at a stand-still any more.  Things are moving along again and we are getting closer to knowing what the treatment plan is.

I apologize for not calling everyone.  You are welcome to call me if you don't want to check the blog.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Thanks for the update.

Jill Heaps said...

We are crossing our fingers!!! We love you. Have a happy and relaxed weekend!!
Oh yea, Emily is doing great! I will tell you about it later!!

Sam said...

Sorry we weren't around for support. We all got food poisoning while on vacation if it makes you feel any better! Thanks for your infectious attitude.