Wednesday, July 29, 2009

And now, a word from our missionary...


Hey mom!

OK so I guess now would be a good time to explain opening my first beer, eh? We are working with a Less-active named Cheryl, mid-40's. She has 2 boys both are teenagers. She clashed with her son Jordan and she was upset and went out and bought some beer. She called us and told us that she needed our help. So we went over there and we talked with her and we called some members that Cheryl felt were like a father and mother to her, the Colliers, who are also the addiction recovery missionaries. We talked with her and she felt better after a few minutes. When we felt that she would be OK by herself, we left. The next day we stopped by and she asked us to help her pour out the beer because she didn't want anything to do with it, and she really wanted to come back to church. So Elder Beeston and I opened the beer and helped her pour it down the sink. It was really fun. She yelled, "GOOD BYE SATAN! GOOD RIDDANCE!" as she poured it out. She felt really good afterwards and we were happy for her. We've been teaching her how to study the scriptures so that she can get the most out of her study.

Sunday was pretty exciting. We had a mission fast for miracles. We had a lesson with Emily at the Drinkwater's house after church and we were talking about faith. We asked her where she thought she was in her faith. She just came right out and said, "I want to be baptized!" We were shocked! She had been taught everything 3 times and she had had 3 previous baptismal dates that had fallen through. She felt that it was right and she came to church every week, but she was afraid to tell her parents because she thought that they might disown her. She told her parents and they were OK with it. After she told us, we had a happy moment and then we set a date for August 15th. She already knew who she wanted to give the talks and everything so we wrote those down.

And then, when we were at the McNiven's for dinner, they had forgotten that they had signed up for us on Sunday and they had already invited some other people. We told them that we could reschedule if it would be more convenient, but they said it would still be OK and that we could still come. So when we got there, there were 3 other people besides us and the McNiven family. 2 of which were already members, but one of them was one of Brother McNiven's co-workers, named Mike. We talked with Mike, just trying to get to know him, and he just started asking questions about the church. We answered them, and he seemed very interested. Right before we left, we exchanged phone numbers. So we got a new investigator too! Which is great because we've been in a 3 week dry spell.

We found out that the Woodstown Elders found a spider. It's a pretty big spider, but it laid eggs while it was in captivity. I'm not sure what they're going to do about that, but I think that if they don't do something about it soon, they're going to be in quite the predicament. They named their spider Olivia. We're going to bring our spiders to sports later today. It will be Ruth VS Olivia. I think that Ruth will win. We put her through some fierce training so I think she's ready.

Oh I counted my change today and I have accumulated $7.26 in the year that I've been out in just pennies, nickles and dimes. I was kind of surprised I had that much change. Just thought I'd tell you...

No you didn't tell me you were going to NY. That's pretty cool! Don't forget to bring something for the plane ride over!

Well the computer just informed me that I'm out of time, so I'll talk to you next week.

Stay out of trouble!

Love,

Zack

No comments: